About Me

My photo
The older I get, the more cynical I get. It is not a fact I am proud of, but it is a fact. I disbelieve just about everything the establishment and the media tell us. I am convinced that we are manipulated into being the submissive, law-abiding robots that we have become. It grieves me greatly.

Thursday 6 August 2015

It won't change me

It is rare now that lottery winners go for publicity, but when they do they tend to spout the ‘it won’t change me’ cliché. 

Lottery tickets are, as a friend once pointed out, a tax on the stupid.   As stupid as that makes me, someone has to win, so why not me?  It is also worth noting that the money we pay in legitimate taxes can, on occasion, be spent in such a way as to render us all stupid for not taking to the streets en masse.  Anyway, I digress, on Friday I paid my stupid tax.  

A colleague and I had a brief chat about what we each might do, in the very unlikely event that we won.  She pointed out the complete lack of imagination in the phrase ‘it won’t change me’.  How can it not change you?  It hopefully would not change my values, but it would definitely change my life. 

I have, on occasion, planned what I would do with the jackpot, when I win it.  I would set up a provision, perhaps almshouses, for elderly people with no family and no money – genuinely no money, not left their homes in trust to their children to avoid funding their own old age.  I would also adopt a few rescued dogs and travel a lot more.   I may book a visit to fat farm - I really like food therefore an annual visit to fat farm may be required. A couple of friends really like the idea of taking the Prue Leith diploma (here), I would join them so I could learn to cook better but quite happy in the knowledge I would be the Bake Off disaster class member.  A friend insists that the first thing I must do is hand the money over to her to manage as I will lose it all – oh she of little faith, but she may have a point.  She has also ‘banned’ me from living in a hotel.  I think living in a hotel would be brilliant, it must take a while to get used to be a multi-millionaire, so hotel life would help me make that transition (family members please note, should I book into a TravelLodge for a weekend, you're not in line for a huge inheritance, any blogs sent out from the Mandarin Oriental - form an orderly queue).   


Of the few life plans I have, I do realise how futile it is that the most formed is the one for the event that I cannot work towards.  In the meantime, if you find you have the winning lottery ticket and are determined that it won't change you, please feel free to give the ticket to me, that way two people get exactly what they want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment