About Me

My photo
The older I get, the more cynical I get. It is not a fact I am proud of, but it is a fact. I disbelieve just about everything the establishment and the media tell us. I am convinced that we are manipulated into being the submissive, law-abiding robots that we have become. It grieves me greatly.

Sunday 12 July 2015

Dog or Dustbuster

This weekend I fostered a dog for a few days for the Dog's Trust.  I also bought a hand held, cordless vacuum cleaner.  One of these items I would already find it very hard to part with.

Darcy, the dog, is very cute.  She is a four year old, shih tzu / poodle cross.  She was in foster whilst she weaned her puppies and has come to stay with me until her new forever home is ready.  She is quiet, well-behaved, house trained, sweet affectionate and playful.  She follows me everywhere and was quite determined to sleep on my bed.  I was quite determined she would not, so we compromised.  She slept on the floor until 6.30 a.m. when she bounded onto the bed and bounced up and down until I got up.  Apparently she has had so many litters that she didn't really get to be a pupy herself, so now she has the chance to play which is lovely.  She will make her new owners a lovely pet.




As lovely as she is, she is a bit too dinky, twee and delicate for me.  Spaniels and beagles are about the smallest dog I can cope with.  I think I'd be much happier with a staffie or a rottweiler.  I used to get very hurt when people crossed the road to avoid Gordon, my scarred, one-eyed shar pei - how could they not see how beautiful he was?  My dustbuster, however, is perfect for me.  It is blue, which is my favourite colour.  It also does exactly what it says on the box - it gets to the dust.  The sofa cushions are fixed and really hard to clean between - until the dustbuster came along.  The stairs took a minute to be lint free.  Darcy worked out very quickly that the miniature cross-breed vacuum was going to be competition for the miniature cross-breed poodle.  When I use the dustbuster, she jumped up to the window and started barking.  I wasn't sure if she was calling out to passers-by for help or just trying to out-volume the vacuum.



Darcy had to wait for her evening walk whilst I vacuumed the stairs and the car.  I was almost tempted to take the dustbuster to the park with us, so loathe was I to part with it.   I am not particularly houseproud, but I am dustbuster proud.

I am really pleased that Darcy has already been adopted.  She is a very sweet little dog and deserved to be happy.  She is very loving and attentive, and I hope her new family appreciate what a lovely dog she is.  I was also very impressed with how much more effort The Dogs' Trust put into fostering dogs than the organisation that I fostered Gordon from - contact numbers, advice, assistance, a letter for a vet should she need medical attention, a bed, toys, support - so very different from the experience I had with Gordon.

The dustbuster was almost not so fortunate in finding a home.  It was hidden away on the bottom shelf of the shop, without even a display ticket to alert shoppers to its needs.  Bright Dysons and Vax wet and dry machines crowded it out, with their range of colours and attachments.  Prospective owners were drawn to their glitz and glamour, overlooking Dusty.  Admittedly, it doesn't wag its tail or roll on its back to have its tummy tickled when I come home .... but I think it just needs time.


No comments:

Post a Comment