About Me

My photo
The older I get, the more cynical I get. It is not a fact I am proud of, but it is a fact. I disbelieve just about everything the establishment and the media tell us. I am convinced that we are manipulated into being the submissive, law-abiding robots that we have become. It grieves me greatly.

Sunday 1 March 2015

Cut to the Quick

I finally had my hair cut.  It was cut very short and, more importantly, I didn't have the roots dyed.  I am now the proud owner of four months of grey roots.  

I like it.  It is longer at the front - and therefore still has some colour in it.  The back is a very mottled brown / grey, but the top is clearly very grey and in places almost white.  I realise that I am not painting a very pretty picture, but I am just describing the many shades of grey in my hair. 

I was very nervous about having it cut.  I actually felt sick.  I couldn't believe how much they cut off.  The pile of curls was swept into a corner - and it looked as if the hairdresser had just shaved my hair off all in one.  I wasn't too sure whilst it was being finished and dried, but once it was done, I really liked it.  The next morning I spent the first 30 minutes in work with everyone admiring and discussing my hair.  

To my surprise even my severest critic, my mother, liked it as well.  She told me it is a very mature cut, which wasn't quite the look I was going for, but I will take compliments where I can.  My cousins' and friends' comments have been very complimentary too and none of them are given to diplomacy.  Two friends have said the curls save it from being 'too lesbian'!  Another little known fact there - not only do lesbians all have short hair, but they must also have short, straight hair.  This morning when I washed my hair, I straightened it when I dried it.  It looked OK, but I prefer the curls.  I was disappointed when I went out that not one woman threw herself at me.  The stereotype surely cannot be wrong?

My hair actually looks more dyed than it did before, now that only some of it is dyed.  The grey on the top is so white, it just blends in with the blonde.  A friend whom I met in the street this morning asked me if I had had red put in the back.  Can the few hairs which have not yet succumbed to grey now be veering towards ginger?  

I will keep having it cut in this way until all the colour has gone.  I am learning about shampoos for grey hair and protecting it from the sun is also a necessity.  I suspect that my grey hair may turn out to be less 'low maintenance' than I had originally envisaged, but for the moment, going grey is here to stay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment